Tuesday, September 27, 2016

Tuesday Tips: Read What You Write

I write Science Fiction because it is my favorite kind of book to read. I have read a thousand Scifi novels over the decades.

(I would not dream of writing historic fiction about France in 1276.)

Even take that a bit farther down into sub genres. Read the sub genres that you want to write. Here are a few sub genres from Scifi I like and may write in the future:
  • Hard Science Fiction
  • Space Opera
  • Space Western
  • Time Travel
  • First Contact
  • Comic Science Fiction
  • Steampunk
  • Alternate History
  • Apocalyptic, Post-Apocalyptic
  • Cyberpunk
  • Military Science Fiction
  • Superhuman
  • Soft or Sociological Science Fiction
  • Near-future science Fiction
  • Science Fantasy or Future Fantasy

--If you want to write romance, read it. Read westerns if you want to write them. Young Adult, Murder mysteries, or Buddy comedies. We'll talk about crossing genres in another post!

No comments:

Post a Comment