The first proof was a big eye opener regarding all the stuff that is important that also needs doing when you are publishing a book.
As you can see from the photo, adjusting the font and line spacing alone changed a lot regarding the size and format. There is a laundry list of things I should have done:
Headers and footers
Trench depth (That's a real thing)
Chapters should all start on even pages.
About the author
All I did was write the thing. Who knew that double spaced, Courier New, was not the right choice. I ended up going into my own library and grabbing a few books. I didn't need an index but they were good guides.
This is where publishers are damn handy. They reminded me of all these items. They even sent me a MS Word template to help me out.
The second round of mods are now done. The third proof has been ordered.
I received the proofs today from my publisher and actually got to hold it in my hand.
I think it was a bigger deal for me than I realized.
Writing a novel has been a life long dream for me. I have few things on my bucket list and this was one of them.
Today, holding the book made it real. The dream, realized.
There is still work to do. The publisher has given me formatting advice regarding headers and page numbers and copyright pages, acknowledgements and a pile of other little things I never though of when all I was going to do was ePub the thing.
I got two of the proofs. They are dated February 9, 2015. The very first printings. They will have places of honor in my personal library. But damn. I have got to fix a pile of stuff...
Go check out Meetup and find a group near you. I even found a group near me that focus's on Science Fiction specifically. There are groups meeting every week near you in libraries, schools, bookstores and coffee shops! --Drink coffee, make stuff up, talk about it with people!