Friday, August 11, 2017

The Fast Friday Interviews: Brhi Stokes

Brhi Stokes

Tell me about yourself, Brhi.

I'm an author who was born in Australia but would much rather be from some other dimension. I've been writing since was able to and tormenting my friends with PCs and NPCs in tabletop games (DnD, Pathfinder, World of Darkness, etc) over the last decade-or-so. Much like a cat, I like to sleep during the day and tear around the house or go on adventures at night but have found that this doesn't really operate well with having a job.

In my spare time, when I'm not writing, I'm reading, playing tabletop games, video games, going for solitary jogs or listening to music. Despite living in the desolate, deadly-animal-filled wasteland of Australia, I would say my general day-to-day is fairly mundane and contains much less spider dodging than my international friends seem to think.

Tell me about your current Book:

When he awakens from a car accident, a university dropout turned hitchhiker must discover where he is and how he got there, or else fall prey to the horrors that stalk the place.

Darkness closed in on him like a pack of hounds. Buildings passed, warehouses, factories; shadows of silent windows disturbed every so often by dim light, taunting him.

A city of the bizarre and the unfamiliar, inhabited by monstrous beasts and people with unnatural gifts. A city of tall glass spires mingling with old gothic architecture, where wild animals roam alongside the populace.

This is where Ripley Mason awakens after the car accident. University dropout, casual drinker, and newly fledged hitchhiker, Ripley is tired of the daily grind of study, drink, repeat. Only halfway done with a degree he never chose, Ripley heads north to see if life won't throw him something less monotonous.

Early into his journey, Ripley suffers a brutal car accident and awakens in a rundown hospital. Nervous, he ventures into dark, unfamiliar streets and comes face to face with horrific beasts. Thrown into a world of supernatural fantasy, Ripley fights to discover where he is, how he came to be here and, most importantly, if he can even get home.

Ripley was still staring at the wallet in his hands. The clinic Ð as he had found out the place was Ð had graciously returned it to him. The problem was, it wasn't his. There was no identification, no cards, nothing. Just some strange currency he didn't recogniseÉ

All he knows of this place is a single word: C A L I G A T I O N

What are you working on now?

I'm dabbling with a few ideas. One is a sort if spiritual successor to Caligation, the other is a YA fantasy I accidentally'd 30,000 words through late last year before putting it on hold to finalize Caligation.

Where is your favorite place to be when you write?

At home, I think. I feel most comfortable in my little bubble of safety.

What is your favorite lesson you have learned about the business of writing?

That you need to either spend time or money on something to perfect it. You can pay someone to do things like edit, cover design, etc. Or you can take the time to do them yourself and still get somewhere halfway decent.

What is your favorite Website?

Well the BBC website is my homepage, despite how incredibly boring that makes me sound. I just like the accents, I swear.

Links:

Email: brhistokesauthor@gmail.com
Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Brhi-Stokes/e/B073F1K38P
Blog: www.brhistokes.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/brhistokes
Twitter: https://twitter.com/BrhiSAuthor



No comments:

Post a Comment