Friday, October 13, 2017

The Fast Friday Interviews: Adam Martin

Adam Martin

Tell me about yourself?

I'm a Fire Horse, according to Chinese astrology, born Dec 2, 1966. Each sign has a 60 year window. So, the next batch will be born in 2026. Since, I wasn't born in China, nor a Chinese citizen, I'm not sure if I lost all those benefits, whatever they may be.

Tell me about your current Book: Xenoman

When ex-pole dancer/model Trianne is abducted in the Klownburger parking lot, Xeno, her ex co-worker from The Shoki Pao dance club, is hired by secret service agency Intellegella to locate her with the black box, a new experimental device used to detect missing persons via synthetic sensory perception. Xeno's mission is to locate Trianne and bring her back to Intellegella rehab,  before she suffers the effects of Black Magic abuse, a designer drug that results in spontaneous human combustion, just like the tabloids tell it in the supermarket. It's all true . . . including the alien conspiracy . . . and the coming of artificial humans . . .

There's even a character named Tab Lloyd . . .

What are you working on now?

I'm working on a cautionary tale about the video game industry. The idea of kids wearing those video game helmets at the expense of looking at a real tree is just plain wrong, and it looks creepy.

Where is your favorite place to be when you write?

I go to the civic center. It has a nice open atmosphere, and there's places to take walks, and there's a couple coffee shops with big vinyl booths that I enjoy. I also like to write in my folks kitchen, and there's a couple of upper scale Del Taco's and Mc Donald's that I kind of like. I rarely write in my condo. It feels like being in a gray tomb. I never go to Starbucks. It's full of rickety little kid's furniture, and they're cramped and expensive.

What is your favorite lesson you have learned about the business of writing?

Writing isn't lonely. There's a confusion. You don't have to be a writer to be lonely, and you don't have to be lonely to be a writer. The two have nothing to do with each other. They're two separate problems, and you have to solve them over time as such. The reason I continued writing is that I like the conversation that goes with people that think farther out than just the veneerof  posting Dancing With the Stars videos on Facebook, and boring the hell out of everyone with their Morning Cup of Joe posts, pictures of their dog, their cat, then their dog again, then the "Here's-me-drunk-at-a-bar-in-(your south of the border country here)" post.

What is your favorite Website?

I read the free version of  The National Enquirer online, just to catch up on what I'm missing with the print version at Wal Mart. When I go to Wal Mart, I always read the print version in ten minutes and put it back without buying it. I catch up on news with Yahoo and Google. I don't need to see someone speak it on TV. I just need to know what happened in print. I like Metacritic for movie reviews, etc.

Links:



No comments:

Post a Comment