Sunday, March 16, 2014

Quotes of the Week

A wounded deer leaps the highest.
- Emily Dickinson

Only in men’s imagination does every truth find an effective and undeniable existence. Imagination, not invention, is the supreme master of art as of life.
- Joseph Conrad

Literature is all, or mostly, about sex.
- Anthony Burgess

Writers are always selling somebody out.
- Joan Didion

Anecdotes don’t make good stories. Generally I dig down underneath them so far that the story that finally comes out is not what people thought their anecdotes were about.
- Alice Munro

You learn by writing short stories. Keep writing short stories. The money’s in novels, but writing short stories keeps your writing lean and pointed.  
- Larry Niven

Everywhere I go I’m asked if I think the university stifles writers. My opinion is that they don’t stifle enough of them.
- Flannery O’Connor

I can’t write five words but that I change seven.
- Dorothy Parker

There’s no such thing as writer’s block. That was invented by people in California who couldn’t write.
- Terry Pratchett

Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of, but do it in private and wash your hands afterwards.
- Robert A. Heinlein

No comments:

Post a Comment