Thursday, March 27, 2014

Far North

I just finished reading Far North by Marcel Theroux.

I really enjoyed this book. It is one of my favorite genres and settings, a post apocalyptic dystopia.

This story follows the life and times of a woman called Make Peace. I love strong, smart, competent, female characters. This one is all of that and a total bad-ass as well.

One of the things I liked the most about this book is what it didn't tell you. A lot of dystopian novels feel like they have to explain in minute detail the events the led up to the fall and just won't rest until they read you that last scientists diary or watch the last video log entry. This story hinted and then trusted that the reader was smart enough.

These characters are too busy trying to find a good pair of winter boots to even care at all.

Marcel Theroux did a good job telling the story in the first person. He did a good job showing me how Make Peace felt in stead of telling me. A trap I often see in first person stories.

This book I got from Audible.com and listened to it during my commute. It was narrated by: Yelena Schmulenson and she did an excellent job as well. The unabridged version was 8 hours and 44 minutes long. Only 4 days commuting... sigh.
 

--I recommend it!


1 comment:

  1. perfect timing. i'm just finishing a novel and was looking for another in a similar genre...plus, Amazon just gave me a whole mess of cash for more Kindle books. woohoo!

    ReplyDelete