Tuesday, March 29, 2022

Seven Years ago today...

Seven years ago today, my first novel, STILL FALLING, was released. I had no idea then how much it would change my life.

I was just drinking coffee and making stuff up.

I kept writing. I will as long as it's fun. I'm still a two-finger typist and it pains people I know who have seen me typing. I still suck at spelling and punctuation but I have software and excellent editors that make me look good.

Mostly I have stories in my mind. It's getting them on paper that is harder than you can imagine. Some parts of that process are pure joy. Other parts require discipline and coffee to make it happen.

The parts no one warned me about were all the things I'd have to do that were not writing at all. The business side.  The production side. Now all my books are published in Kindle, Paperback, Hardback, and Audio editions. Each edition type is a separate project with its own checklist. Add cover and interior design, editing, reviewing, formatting, publishing, and marketing to those lists.

I love being an Indie Author as well. It allows me to keep control of my Intellectual Property. But I am responsible for everything getting done. It works for me as I am also a control freak.

I don't do it alone either. That's another thing I didn't expect seven years ago. Here is a partial list of the people who all work for me now: Editors, Illustrators, Cover Designers, Producers, Narrators, Accountants, Lawyers, Proof Readers, Translators, Web Developers, Beta Readers, and Marketers.

I would be remiss if I didn't mention my writer's group, The Hourlings. Without them, none of this would have happened.

Here's to the next seven years. Drink Coffee. Make Stuff Up.





2 comments:

  1. Phenomenal book! I've begun reading your second novel and I have to admit, you've peaked my interest, Martin! Who would have thought back in high school that your imagination would have proved to be such a lucrative endeavor!I have purchased the hardcover edition of The Solstice 31 Saga. Job Well Done!I hope to get your autograph when we have the next class reunion!! Cyndi Willis- Merritt.

    ReplyDelete