Give yourself permission to write a crappy first draft.
Trying to make a perfect first draft has crippled so many writers I can't even make a joke about it.
Once I gave myself permission to hammer through the first draft, all the way to the end, without going back to polish, I finally finished something.
Here is a list of things that made it easier for me:
- Forget about spell checking
- Grammar need not be perfect on the first pass
- Keep a character name list as you go
- Punctuation can be tuned later
- Never look back
- Work from an outline
- Never look back until you are finished
- Make a list of things to do on revision