Also known as, Not Giving a F#ck.
I encourage you to cultivate this habit, this skill, this attitude. Because it will help your writing. Especially as the last tip in 2020.
There are several benefits to this:
- It helps create your original voice.
- Accepting critiques becomes more useful.
- It armors you against one-star reviews that happen to everyone.
- It gives you the distance that allows you to improve your works.
- It shields you from negative thoughts and discouragement.
- It allows you to write a shitty first draft.
- It makes it easier to release books into the world and move on.
- It allows you to see how absurd people really are.
- It fine-tunes your bullshit detector.
- Everything gets easier, coffee tastes better, music touches you easier.
--Just remember that you are going to die one day. Wasted moments agonizing over what some stranger thinks is a waste of the life you have. Doubly so on Facebook.