Tuesday, November 22, 2016

Tuesday Tips: Dreams

Some nights I have amazing dreams.

More than one image or place or plot or character in my novels had their origin in my dreams.

Dreams are challenging:
  • How do I encourage my dreaming?
  • How do I dream about something specific?
  • How do I remember my dreams?
 This is an odd topic and your mileage may vary. All I can do is tell you what I do to encourage my dreams.

How do I encourage my Dreams?

For me I think it is a combination of things that make me dream memorable dreams. On a typical night I think everyone dreams. The thing is, most of the time, people dream scenes from their daily lives. Driving to work. Doing my jobs. Normal daily stuff. Not memorable.

You hear stories about eating spicy food or pizza giving people dreams or nightmares. I am one that has creative dreams if I drink a Gatorade right before bed. I think that it's different for everyone. You just have to find the catalyst.

How do I dream about something specific?

Our brains are amazing answer machines. It will subconsciously try to answer anything asked of it. Be careful what you ask. It will find the answer. "What will my protagonist's spaceship look like?" Has been a good question for me. "Why does she fall in love with my protagonist?" is also good. Ask yourself this over and over before bed. Writing it down is even better. Read it over and over.

Just don't ask yourself things like, "Why am I so stupid?". "Why do I suck as a writer?".

How do I remember my dreams?

This recommendation is not just for dreams. Keep a notebook handy. A few words are enough to spark the memory of your dream. "Black, carapace like a bug. no windows. turtle shaped." was the inspiration from a dream that resulted in the description of the Shuttle Transport Unit (STU) from the Solstice 31 Saga.

If you are a writer, you may already be doing all this without realizing it. It may be what makes some people into writers. Falling asleep with things drifting in your mind.

If you're lucky you can even Lucid Dream.

--Put your subconscious work!

No comments:

Post a Comment