Friday, July 27, 2018

The Fast Friday Interviews: Starla Huchton

Starla Huchton

Tell me about yourself?

I am a storyteller in multiple types of media. Whether I'm designing a book cover, narrating an audiobook, or writing a novel, above all else my goal is to tell a great story. I've always had an interest in the written word, but didn't gain much direction with it until I was serving in the US Navy as a lithographer doing a lot of desktop publishing, which lead to me wanting to specialize in designing book covers. Once I got out, I started working towards a degree in graphic design while simultaneously beginning my first novel. After that was completed, a friend got me interested in the world of podcasted audiobooks, which is when I discovered I also had a knack for narration. It's nice having several avenues to pursue for a career, and I've alternated my focus on each over the years, depending on where I could get the most work. When I have a lot of design clients, I write and record less, but when I don't have Photoshopping to do and a quiet house, I can record. At one point I published 6 novels in a single year, so there wasn't as much designing and recording done. Having multiple hats is a great way to assure I'm never bored and keeps my creativity fresh by providing those small breaks. And as we're a military family, having a career that moves with me every time is almost a necessity.

Tell me about your current Book:

When the crew of the SS Nanshe takes in a troubled girl, they must untangle a sinister corporate plot, or else the galaxy could become far more dangerous than anyone is prepared to deal with.

Blast off into this new series with a Firefly-meets-Silverado flair!

"Soldiers need wars, doctors need patients, and the Nanshe needs trouble. That's just kinda how it is."

The galaxy ain't a friendly place, but it's a good sight better when you've got friends at your back. And when the crew of the Nanshe stumbles into larger-than-your-average trouble, they'll need all the help they can get.

What starts off as a simple retrieval of stolen goods turns deadly when Leena Espinoza discovers a girl stashed in a cellar, her guardian murdered. The crew has a soft spot for hard cases, and despite Delilah's odd behavior, offer help instead of turning her over to the authorities.

But what they don't know might kill them.

No good deed goes unpunished, and the crew winds up on the radar in the worst possible way. Merc squads, shadowy coalitions, plus the usual criminal element are all on their tails, so it's fight or flight.
As a plot to unbalance the entire civilized universe unfolds around them, the ladies of the SS Nanshe gear up for battle. Through blood and fire, they'll do everything they can to protect what little they have. In the vast blackness of space, taking matters into your own hands isn't an option... It's a matter of survival.


What are you working on now?

Well, I currently have a dozen or so works in progress, but only two I'm actively poking at, one being the second book in the Flights of the Nanshe series. I've also got other audio and design projects in various stages of completion, so there's always something to do!


Where is your favorite place to be when you write?

My writing is done whenever and wherever I have a spare moment to make it happen, and much of that is done on my phone. I don't really have a favorite place, but the past few years I've been able to spend a week at a writing retreat one of my friends organizes, which is generally the most productive and focused I can be, so I suppose that's my answer.

What is your favorite lesson you have learned about the business of writing?

Making connections with people is invaluable. As much as I'd love to barricade myself in my house forever, meeting other authors, narrators, designers, and readers really does make all the difference in the world. Leaving a good impression on someone carries you further than you can imagine.


What is your favorite Website?

This question has made me realize that I don't spend much time looking at websites that aren't related to my work. Stock photo sites, design tutorials (ALWAYS BE LEARNING NEW THINGS), social media, sales reports, book research... that primarily takes up most of my online time. I guess I'd have to say Twitch, as I watch a lot of video game stuff, plus that's where people can see me play a terrible cleric in Dungeons & Dragons (almost) every Wednesday night on Christiana Ellis's channel for the So Many Levels podcast. Seriously. I am probably the worst cleric ever. Well... if not the worst, definitely the most spiteful. LMAO


Links:

Email: starla.huchton@gmail.com 
Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/default/e/B0058FOG9S
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/StarlaHuchton/ and https://www.facebook.com/CoversDesignedByStarla/
Twitter: https://twitter.com/starlahuchton
Websites: http://www.starlahuchton.com and http://www.designedbystarla.com


No comments:

Post a Comment