Friday, April 29, 2016

Fast Friday Indie Interviews: Tia Mitsis

Tia Mitsis

Tell me about yourself, Tia?

I started writing when I was 6 years old. At school, I’d put little books together and try to sell them to my friends and classmates. I once had a book taken off me in the fourth grade that I was trying to sell (for 50 cents Australian) but fortunately the teacher didn’t get me into trouble. She read it and then asked me if she could take it to show to her class. I never got it back. When anyone asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up, I would say that I wanted to be an author. My favourite childhood authors were Enid Blyton and Carolyn Keene.

Somehow when I graduated high school, I’d decided to study law and that’s what I did. I went to law school, became a solicitor and then I was tossed into years of frustration and disappointment. With all that study and then even a postgraduate qualification, I couldn’t get a job as a lawyer. Not even one. As the years passed, the frustration grew to the extent that I started writing out my feelings. This led to the idea of finally doing what I had said I wanted to do since I was a little girl – write a book for publication.

I had kept writing since that young age, just for myself. Along with my law degree I’d got a Bachelor of Arts majoring in Journalism so I had written creatively at a tertiary level as well as just for my own pleasure. I decided to write down what I felt about the years I spent as a frustrated graduate and find out if there were others like me. There were, and their stories and my own are held within the pages of my first non-fiction book, ‘When Study Goes Wrong’. The book was released in March 2015.

Not long after the release of my first book, despite the exhaustion of finishing the book and preparing it for publication around a full time job, I somehow had the idea of penning my second book a month later. My second book was released in January 2016. It is titled ‘A Greek Odyssey’ and it is a unique personal narrative which explores the hidden gems of Greece, the areas that a tourist following a standard itinerary may never discover.

I was born in Brisbane, Australia and after moving around a bit, I am back living in Brisbane. I’m still not working as a lawyer and at this stage almost a decade later, don’t want to be. Things are not ideal in the job arena but I have had to adjust. My day job as I call it, is in the insurance industry. I write, I also dabble in editing book manuscripts for other authors which I enjoy.

When I’m not working, writing or editing, I enjoy traveling, watching movies, listening to Greek music, martial arts and Irish dancing.


Tell me about your current Book:

My current book is ‘A Greek Odyssey’. It’s a journey of discovery and readers are introduced to the roads less traveled in Greece; places that are off the beaten track normally frequented by tourists. Areas that are hidden gems, traditional and authentic parts of Greece that are largely untouched by tourism. The Greece I introduce readers to is filled with beauty, history, and scenery that needs to be seen to be believed.

While tourists normally flock to the famous Greek islands, I explore the mainland of Greece. A journey which leads me to a variety of hidden wonders not often explored. I climb to the top of the monument of Zalongo, see the famous Edessa waterfalls, find myself on the edge of Greece, and explore places with vivid stories and mythology.

I explore my roots and capture the natural beauty of an ancient country. A country that is filled with natural landscapes, traditions, and monuments that have weathered time, wars, and the elements to still enchant visitors today.

If I can summarise it with just one quote, it is this: “When I think of Greece, I think of warmth, comfort, rich history and culture, and breathtaking scenery.”

What are you working on now?

As I wrote one book right after the other, I am taking the time to give both books the attention they deserve. I feel that ‘When Study Goes Wrong’ was a little forgotten as I focused so quickly on ‘A Greek Odyssey’. I am giving them my full attention, I am proud of both and want them to do well. They are different and appeal to different audiences. They are written from personal experience and while I have a few ideas – for both fiction and non-fiction, I am not wanting to jump straight into a third book quite yet.

Where is your favorite place to be when you write?

I was inspired as I wrote half of ‘A Greek Odyssey’ while physically in Greece. It was all written from my personal experience visiting each location but some of the locations chosen I hadn’t been to yet. I did that last year as I was writing the book. I went specifically to see the locations I wanted to include that I hadn’t been to. I was inspired as I sat out on the balcony with my laptop, looked out at scenery which inspired me and wrote from the heart. I visited museums and spoke to locals for research leaving more inspired than ever. How I would love to write a second volume and see even more of the Greek mainland. My favourite place therefore is to be somewhere near nature, to look out at stunning landscapes and be inspired.

What is your favorite Website?

I love travel sites such as Trip Advisor that provides ideas about destinations, attractions, accommodation and includes reviews. I love Goodreads also for interacting with both readers and writers. I am yet to win a Goodreads giveaway and I am waiting for the day I win a book!

Links:

Email: tmitsis@mail.com
Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/A-Greek-Odyssey-Tia-Mitsis/dp/1925388573
  http://www.amazon.com/When-Study-Goes-Wrong/dp/1494862875
Blog: http://greektravelodyssey.wordpress.com/
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/tiamitsis
Twitter: https://twitter.com/Tia_author
Goodreads: http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/13632055.Tia_Mitsis
Website: www.tiamitsis.com

No comments:

Post a Comment