Tuesday, December 5, 2017

Tuesday Tips: Pros

Here is a lesson that many self-pub authors find hard to learn: Hire Professionals

Here is a partial list of pros that I now rely on:
  • Editors
  • Accountants
  • Lawyers
  • Illustrators
  • Artists
  • Cover Designers
  • Web Developers
  • Audio Producers
  • Narrators
  • Literary Translators

Paying for professional services and deliverables should be considered an investment. In the beginning I was doing all these tasks myself. I did everything from editing, accounting, contract reviews, covers, to designing my own business cards. Honestly, it showed. I muddled through but rapidly realized the value of the Pros. 

I would never ask people I know to give me free medical advice for my cat Bailey. Just like paying for the services of a veterinarian surgeon is worth it, so are writing professionals. I listed Editors first. It is the first one an Indie Author should invest in.

Here is another example: I could probably build my own house. I could do it. I have a lot of the hand tools. I can read books. It would probably not be as good. I bet my plumbing would leak really bad. My wiring would probably be a fire hazard. The drywall would really be ugly. Talented professionals ensure there are not problems.

Yes, they all cost money.

As a serious Indie Author, I am my own boss, and have found that they are totally worth it. Unlike old school published authors, they all work for me. I don't work for them.

--Be your own general contractor.


No comments:

Post a Comment