Monday, December 12, 2016

Reading: Brave New World

Last week I read Brave New World by Aldous Huxley.

Here is the description from Amazon:

Originally published in 1932, this outstanding work of literature is more crucial and relevant today than ever before. Cloning, feel-good drugs, anti-aging programs, and total social control through politics, programming, and media has Aldous Huxley accurately predicted our future? With a storyteller s genius, he weaves these ethical controversies in a compelling narrative that dawns in the year 632 AF (After Ford, the deity). When Lenina and Bernard visit a savage reservation, we experience how Utopia can destroy humanity. A powerful work of speculative fiction that has enthralled and terrified readers for generations, "Brave New World" is both a warning to be heeded and thought-provoking yet satisfying entertainment."

I read this originally in the late 1970's when I was an angry young man. The same time I read 1984 and Animal Farm.

Reading it again now was a different experience. It was not as good as I remember. It's the 75th anniversary of the book and a lot of people will read it again. I guess I prefer happy endings and hero protagonists.

--I am finding it hard to find anyone that's actually read it to discuss it!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment