Tuesday, February 20, 2024

Soon: Spring Writer Retreat

I will be heading out for a twelve-day Writer Retreat later this month. In those twelve days, I will write the first draft of an entire novel. I will average 5,000 to 10,000 words a day. But to do that, I will need to do some prep work:

  • Write a detailed outline. 20-30 pages. Scene-by-scene bullets.
  • Character sheets for all the main characters.
  • Plot location planning with maps.
  • A playlist that sets the tone.
  • No distractions. No internet except my phone.
  • Great food and drink for all 12 days, so I need not go anywhere.
  • Lots of DVDs to watch in the evenings.
  • Put the Outline into Scrivener before you go.

For this retreat, I will be in a mountain cabin in West Virginia. I go places by myself to remove the distractions of my daily life. Mostly because I LOVE my favorite distractions. My wife, my pets, my ultra high-speed Internet, and every streaming service available. I love all of that. 

Plus, it doesn't hurt that this cabin has a hot tub...

No comments:

Post a Comment