Tuesday, November 15, 2016

Tuesday Tips: Roadblocks

I started trying to write my first novel when I was 22 years old. I didn't actually get published until I was 55. I encountered a lot of Roadblocks along the way.

Here are a few of the Roadblocks that held me back:
  • Insecurity. Who did I think I was that thought I could write a novel?
  • Poor Planning. I wrote myself into corners, not knowing where my story was going. 
  • Waiting for Inspiration. I would stare at the black screen of my Apple IIe expecting it to find me.
  • Focus. It is such a distraction-filled world.
  • Time. I am too busy. I have a full-time job. I have kids. I have a wife that needs me.
  • Fear. What if people hate it? What if I suck? 
 All of these seemed to fade away when I got serious about planning. I planned my time to write daily, I outlined the hell out of everything, and I treated it like a job. I sit and write 2 hours every weekday. I attend a writers group every Sunday. I just do it no matter how inspired I feel. Now I have published three novels that have good reviews and sales. Plus a pile of short stories.

--It's all about Discipline. You can do it!

No comments:

Post a Comment